The long lists of vocabulary continue to grow! Take a deep breath and know the basics (120 Social Media Marketing Terms).
Here are the top 25 social media terms you need to know:
1. Viral: Anything shared across social networks that get passed along rapidly. YouTube videos are a great example.
2. Platform: A system that manages content. For instance, Wordpress is a platform that manages a community of blogs.
3. Authenticity: Used to describe "real" people behind blog posts and other social profiles.
4. Influence: An individual's importance online is now measured by the Klout Score, a measurement of online influence.
5. B2B: Business to Business.
6. B2C: Business to Consumer.
7. Hashtag: HubSpot defines a hashtag as a "word or string of characters that starts with a number sign." Identical hashtags are then grouped into a search thread.
8. Search Engine Optimization (SEO): The process of organizing your website to give it the best chance of appearing near the top of search engine rankings.
9. Transparency: Social media users expect to engage in considerate online conversations with individuals and businesses. We all aspire to be transparent, but are we?
10. Web 2.0: Refers to the second generation of the Web which means people now blog and create websites without needing specialized technical knowledge and training.
11. Synergy: Dare we simply say teamwork between companies online?
12. Trending: A word, phrase or topic that is popular on Twitter at a given moment.
13. e-Book: A book published in digital form.
14. Wiki: Simple web pages that can be edited by other users.
15. Blog: A site updated frequently by an individual or group to record opinions or information.
16. User-Generated-Content (UGC): An article describes UGC as being Latin for “crap” which is, quite frankly, well-put. UGC is anything published online by the Average Joe.
17. Tweeps: Twitter + People = Tweople.
18. Microblogging: Short message postings from a social media account. Facebook statuses and Twitter posts are two examples.
19. Algorithm: An "algo" is a system that suggests pages to search engines in response to a search query.
20. Widget: A widget is a small, attractive applications on a website such as a hit counter. Gizmos can make good link bait. Speaking of link bait...
21. Link bait: Designed to attract incoming links. News and widget hooks are good examples.
22. Meme: A means of taking viral concepts and making them everyday lingo. Check out "Know Your Meme."
23. Engage: If you are communicating to other social media users, you are engaging.
24. Traffic: Traffic, traffic, traffic. This refers to the visitors that visit a website and it's all we talk about these days. A bit of advice: You must decide if traffic to your site is really that important to your organization, or if engaging with a loyal customer matters more.
25. Tag: Indicates or labels what content is about.